For immediate delivery items, see Specials on www.SwageDies.com web store.
What? Slow Delivery?
For decades, Corbin swaging dies have been in such demand that backlogs were common. The small, dedicated staff of skilled die makers could barely stay within 18 months of the latest orders. Chat rooms and word of mouth was that the products were the best and worth the wait, but the delivery could be discouraging.
So we took a hard look at redefining our main mission, to provide top quality swaging equipment at the best price, and what was taking the most time away from accomplishing this goal more quickly.
After much study, we identified two bottlenecks.
- First, we were making too many kinds of accessories that, while useful, were not necessary to the main purpose of swaging bullet.
- Second, we were accepting too many unusual experimental jobs no one else would tackle, and the time spent on them was far greater than the income it produced, while taking that same time away from production of "normal" products.
Quicker Delivery Accomplished!
Today, we are delivering over 90% of the new orders either off the shelf, or within about 10 days. Depending on the shapes and calibers, and quantity of items in the order, it could be a day or two one way or the other, but that's a long way from our old 90 days to 18 months!
We've been able to provide the "other 10%" of orders, the more unusual and experimental jobs, on average within 90 days, and most of that within 45-60 days.
Now presses typically are in stock or, in the case of the Hydro Press, will be within 10 days for up to two presses at a time. Most single die or punch orders, even special ones, are now ready to ship well short of our old 45 day rush overtime option. That means in essence we are providing rush delivery without charging for overtime work.
Very complex or multi-caliber orders still can take up to three months, but many of even these jobs go out much sooner. It depends on how many jobs might have come in first and are currently using the machines, heat treatment ovens and die makers' time, of course.
Could that change? Yes, I'm sure it is possible for a flood of orders to take all of our inventory of some product, and tie up the die makers and machinists for longer than usual. Still, the average delivery time has vastly improved, to the point where we expect all orders to be shipped within 90 days. We still do the jobs no one else will attempt. But we are more careful about accepting certain kinds of experimental work, in order to provide the fastest delivery to the greatest number of customers.
Notes on Selected Items
- Hydro Presses. Now shipping within 10 days. The console (operator controls and top panel of the press) has been redesigned with striking artwork and layout by Greg Duval. The new tops are computer-formed from 10-gauge steel, coated with a baked-on light grey polymer finish, then over-printed with the graphics and text in easy-on-the-eyes light blue and black. The console is then covered with a clear polymer overlay (clear-coat) which is baked on to bond the layers into one monolithic unit. As always, the entire cabinet and integrated hydraulic tank is powder coat finished inside and out for protection against rust and corrosion. (Many bullet makers and weapons labs have earlier version Hydro Presses that are over 40 years old and still making bullets as well as ever.) Available in 115v 50/60hz standard model, or optional 208v, 220, 230, or 240v 50/60hz versions (single phase, 1.5-hp). Check it out on the Hydro Press page.
- Polymer "bullet balls" in all standard sizes are in good supply again! Use these for adjusting bullet weight in the same jacket length, making ultra-light high speed bullets, or positive expansion polymer tips over a deep cavity to insure expansion on impact.
Packaged in bags of 1000.
- Dave Corbin's latest book, twenty years in the writing, details the tips, techniques, and planning for a successful custom bullet business, with emphasis on organization, marketing and promotion. "Turning Ideas Into Income" is a 224 page guide to building
wealth and enjoying family involvement in a well proven home business, is now available. Orders are being
taken on the secure web store now with gift wrapping/gift card option. (A shorter,
earlier version was first published in 2002 on CD-ROM only. This is the updated and completed print edition, with an additional 11 years of work added.)
- SIM-TEST ballistic test medium is in stock. We ship pallet loads of this to various government agencies, not only for bullet testing but for testing helmets, gloves, vests, any kind of trauma simulation sensor-equipped tests, and for medical research (simulates adipose and brain tissue for impact and penetration testing with hypodermic needles, radiation therapy, etc.). You can use it over and over again, unlike gellatin. It can be used at room temperature, and simply melted and recast any number of times. Very economical in the long run. Sold in aproximately 10 lb blocks or 58-60 lb cartons (weight varies a little with exact size of the blocks). Density of 1.3 gm/cc, 100% water soluable at 140-deg F. Makes bullet "wounds" that look like the real thing and act that way, not like the over-dramatic results from less resiliant clay, wet paper, wax, etc., so you get closer to real life results.
- PCM-2 Power Cannelure Machines are available for immediate delivery or within a short period if you need a special size or shape of cannelure. The machines are capable of being set up for either 115v 50/60hz or 220-230v 50/60 hz, and can run about 30 bullets a minute on a continuous production. These are built into the production lines at major bullet producers' plants. They can be manually fed as fast as you can push bullets into the input side, for doing rapid cannelure grooves on any bullet. The tool does require a hardened specially built wheel for each caliber, and comes with one wheel in a standard shape and caliber of your choice. Thanks to feedback from our friends at Sierra Bullets, we've made improvements in the cannelure accuracy to meet demanding military standards, and are proud to offer this higher level of precision as standard design.
- HCT-1, HCT-2, and HCT-3 Cannelure, Knurling, and Bullet Grooving tools are in stock for immediate delivery.